Thursday, July 24, 2008

breathe your peace, breathe your peace on us, that we might breathe you deep.

I write not for sympathy, but for prayers.
A few months ago my uncle was diagnosed with lung cancer. He had been previously diagnosed with emphysema, and they warned him to quit smoking but he didn't until he was diagnosed with cancer. He is in the hospital now because he is becoming delirious and they've found its spread to his bones and possibly his brain. At this point its just a matter of days or hours. I think the hardest part for me, even though I am sad, is to see my dad loose his brother and best friend. My dads NASCAR buddy. My dad used to spend hours on the phone every Sunday talking about the race with my uncle Ronnie and Grandpa. Soon it will just be him. Kind of makes me want to start watching it.
My Uncle Ronnie is "the crazy one" in the family, always loud, the life of the party type, but has the sweetest and most gentle heart. He never took life to seriously and hes gotten a lot of crap for it over the years from my family but that is what I love about him. He never let anyone bring him down. I can't find one picture where hes not wearing a crazy Hawaiian shirt or making a funny gesture or laughing. Hes so sweet too. At stage four cancer, July 4th weekend, he came down to make his rounds to all of his family. I love how my brother got to see him, him and my Uncle were lighting fireworks at the Elementary school by my house, and when the neighbors came out and yelled at them my Uncle wanted to "blow up their mailbox". I just love him and I'll miss him a lot.
Every time the phone rings I feel sick. I know its inevitable, its just hard...

No comments: